Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What do you say to a four year old?

Recently I watched Snow White with my four year old niece Izzy. Now Snow White is a Disney classic that every child must see. However it also was made back in 1937 and is not quite up to date to the sensitivity of the modern child. At the end when the wicked queen is planning to tempt Snow White with the poison apple she comes across two creepy vultures. Izzy asks me, "why do those birds look so happy?" What do you say to a four year old? Well Izzy they are excited that someone is going to die because vultures like to eat dead things. Uh no, so we settled that they just didn't like the queen and they knew she was going to die. When the queen finally does fall to her death in a dramatic scene on a high cliff with dark clouds and lightening, the vultures swoop down after the queen. "Why are they following her? Are they just happy she died?" asks Izzy. Um yeah I say. It reminds me of when I watched Mulan with Leah. That movie brought up ancient china, cross dressing, and why boys in China had long hair, etc. Come on Disney, keep it together.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh man is that funny. I do wonder about kids movies sometimes. We watched the Princess and the Frog the other day and it has that scary shadow man. If I watched that as a kid I would have been afraid of shadows forever.

Kayla said...

I just watched that with Izzy too! She kept warning me of the scary parts, but then she would say, don't worry I'm not scared though. It was funny.

It's Miller Time said...

Thanks for dealing with these deep issues with my kids.